Full On Dog Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Is Agility?

3 posters

Go down

What Is Agility? Empty What Is Agility?

Post  Sarah Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:00 pm

What is "Dog Agility"?
Dog agility is a competitive sport that tests a person's skills in training and handling of dogs over a timed obstacle course. Competitors race against the clock as they direct their dogs to jump hurdles, scale ramps, burst through tunnels, traverse a see-saw and weave through a line of poles in an obstacle course configuration designed to challenge a handler's competitive and training skills. With scoring based on faults similar to equestrian show jumping, dog agility has become an exciting spectator event.

Must I have a purebred dog in order to compete in dog agility?

No. A competitor may compete with any dog, purebred or mixed breed in USDAA events. Dog agility is practiced as a sporting activity that demonstrates a handler and trainer's skill in working with a dog on an obstacle course. The type of dog may pose certain challenges in training and handling, but a competitor is not restricted as to type of dog. Therefore, dog agility is frequently referred to as a "sport for all dogs".

What dog is best suited for agility?

Any dog with good physical agility and energy is a strong candidate for the sport. Though many breeds appear more naturally adapted to the sport, more than 150 breeds (including mixed-breeds as a single group) have demonstrated their ability to perform well.

Copyright © 2004-2010. United States Dog Agility Association, Inc. All rights reserved.
Sarah
Sarah
Admin

https://fullondogchat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What Is Agility? Empty Re: What Is Agility?

Post  Molly Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:56 am

Great description!
Molly
Molly

http://www.mydogsagility.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnSmith Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Thank you for the information! That is a full detailed explanation of agility. Wow! I wish my dog would become a champion one day. I need to train him now! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down