Delilah a therapy dog?!

Go down

Delilah a therapy dog?!

Post  Molly on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:04 pm

I always wanted Delilah to be a therapy dog or reading dog. I used to thinks she didn't have any interest in strangers, but I was wrong! She met some people on a walk and wanted them to pet her. She was so cute. I love you

So, what are good qualities/temperament in a therapy dog. I think she just has to pass the AKC Canine Good Citizenship Test.....

Any other therapy dog info. would be super helpful!
Molly

View user profile http://www.mydogsagility.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Delilah a therapy dog?!

Post  AnnSmith on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 pm

Wow! Therapy dog? Sounds like a nice job for a dog. What is it? This is the first time I've heard of it.

Last edited by AnnSmith on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
AnnSmith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hobbit on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:03 pm

AnnSmith, a therapy dog is...well, a form of therapy. These dogs visits hospitals, schools, etc to go and say hi to people. Some programs have children read to the animal, to gain confidence, because a dog does not judge you on whether or not you can read as fast as Susie Jones.

ANYHOW, Dlilly, I can't remember the requirements off the top of my head, but I know that a simple google search should bring up some stuff. It is also worth looking into the major TD organizations while you're at it.

Hobbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:01 pm

I looked online and found some good sites.

Delilah has been walking up to strangers, and I'm super confident she can pass the Good Canine Citizenship test. What a Face
Molly

Back to top Go down

Post  Hobbit on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 am

Molly wrote:I looked online and found some good sites.

Delilah has been walking up to strangers, and I'm super confident she can pass the Good Canine Citizenship test. What a Face

Pretty sure she could, too.

I think a big thing you would want to do is see if you can find medical equipment/disabled people to have interactions around and/or with, because a TD is going to be exposed to people with jerky movements, large pieces of equipment, etc.

Hobbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:36 am

We have crutches and I've already been messing around with them around her. Every day we go out, she is getting better and better with having adults walking up to her. This week I've been focusing on her laying down at the library while I read. I will continue that..... So much training! >.<

I had an idea for a program where I go to schools and teach kids about dog saftey, and I wanted to bring Delilah with me. I want to her to certified first before I start it or anything. Very Happy
Molly

Back to top Go down

Post  Hobbit on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:29 am

I believe programs like that are already in place- you could see if you could join up with one of them, because chances are they have insurance and all that.

Hobbit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Molly on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:16 am

I've check out a few, but they focus on different topics that I don't think are as important.....
Molly

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnSmith on Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:23 am

Thank you for the info! Smile I've read an article the other day with regards to therapy dogs and it said that therapy dogs are now being used in hospitals to help patients to be relieved of stress.

AnnSmith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum